After 36 hours between the two of us we have one of the two couches almost done. We just have to attach the dust ruffle and hinge covers, but due to a compressor issue we are down and waiting on parts. The other half of Blue Ribbon is my wife Jessica, she is a amazing seamstress(please click on her link, Black Needle Werks, to see the purses, aprons, and pillow shams, she makes and sells).
This is the couch when we bought the Kenskill, notice how the back is square. Somewhere along the line one of the previous owners recovered the couches and they lost a lot of their character, the back was made square and they lost their dust ruffles.
After 3 hours, several dead mice, lots of mouse poop and a lot of a bleach/water solution that was more bleach then water, we got to the base layers. What we found was a Federal style heart shaped couch. We had to throw away the old coconut fiber underlayment, due to the rodent damage.
I took each couch completely apart to remove the burlap that sits between the torsion springs and the innersprings. The mice had burrowed their way though the burlap and left little presents in the weave of the burlap.
New Burlap over the torsion springs, unfortunately I got so involved reattaching the innersprings that I forgot to take pictures of the process.
But I obviously did reattach them.
New Jute padding on the innersprings.
I wrapped the wood base frame with the same Jute padding to give it some cushion.
I Wrapped the seating surfaces with 1" thick foam, this replaces the old raw cotton batting that the mice loved so much.
Next came 1 1/2" thick Dacron padding to make it appear fluffy and give it some softness. I then wrapped everything with a upholstery grade Tyvek fabric to keep everything together.
I think a couple of post ago I posted a picture of the fabric we were going to use, but we changed our minds. We found this black and gold fabric that is very reminiscent of 1950's car upholstery. My wife piped the cushions with the gold fabric we are using for the curtains, I then button tufted the cushions with buttons covered in the same fabric as the piping to keep everything from shifting around.
Dust Ruffle, which was a original feature back 1961, we changed it and made it flat as the original was actually a ruffle.